You cannot change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sail.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Freezer Jam

We recently had a Relief Society Meeting about Canning and Preserving food, and freezer meals.  I have done freezer meals before, and I have always liked how they turn out.  But I have never canned or done any other preservation.  So, knowing my tendency to start out too big,  I decided to pick a small easy sort of thing.  I bought a lot of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and mangoes, and made some freezer jam.  I dragged Nate into the project to cut the mangoes into chunks and help bag up in freezer bags all the fruit we weren't using in the jam.  We used the Bell Freezer Jam pectin, because it was recommended at the class.    We made two varieties, strawberry mango, and raspberry blackberry.  It didn't take all that long, and I have 11 jars total, which is plenty of jam for us.  Maybe another time I will try some actual canning.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

WOW, Jill (and Nate) you are amazing. I love freezer jam. The last year I lived at the Y one of the sisters in the ward had free apricots so I made some with those. MMMMMMMM! I wish I were there to enjoy some of your neat varieties.

Terry and Alice said...

We have tried the Raspberry/Blackberry one and it is wonderful! We even made stuffed french toast with it. Mmmmmmmm. Thanks for the Jam!

Jessica Christensen said...

I could live on jam. Well, jam and bread. Or just jam and a spoon.