You cannot change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sail.

Monday, July 6, 2009

Picnic in the Park

Nate had a wild hair and wanted to try and make some borscht. He pulled out his Russian cookbook and started trying to figure out and translate the recipe. I suggested we head to a farmers market to get some fresh ingredients. It always seems we are heading out to go somewhere just before lunch. Instead of going out, I threw some sandwiches together, put some stuff in a cooler and stashed it in the car.

Nate translated ingredients all the way there with hopes of finding them all at the market. However, when we got there, there wasn't as much produce as we had hoped and all we would have really been able to get is beets. So borscht is on the back burner right now. I think he is hoping to find a less complicated recipe, and I am hoping to find a farmers market overflowing with produce. I suspect there is more earlier in the morning.

But the day was not a bust. The kids love having picnics and were thrilled when they found out we would be having one. The blanket is one my mom made me when I graduated high school, and it has been used and loved so much, that it is starting to come apart. But it's really large and makes a perfect blanket to have in the car.

Nate tried to take a little nap after we ate, but he didn't have any luck with that (shocking, I know). So we headed out for a little dessert and then home for the day.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

What is borscht? Neil does this all the time--remembers some dish from his childhood in Germany and then is convinced that I can make an exact replica. Hasn't panned out yet. :)

Holy smokes!! Look at all the rain you've been having!! Send some this way, eh?

Marsha said...

Hey, Nate, send the recipe. I would love to make an attempt at Borsch.