Jack is going to be in fifth grade this fall-I can hardly believe he is already that old. I remember fifth grade really well. His teacher is planning on teaching them about inheritance and some genetics this year. So a few weeks a go we went and helped pollinate hostas with his teacher to make some cross breeds and then later in the year the kids will grow out their seeds to see what happens. Jack and a friend we there and at first you could tell they weren't all that excited about school in the summer, but after going over what they were going to do and why, they really got into it. There were a lot of varieties of hostas with dozens of different traits, they picked traits they liked, then pollinated the two different plants. It was a really fun morning. The whole project made me excited for this school year. I love that his teacher took time out of his summer to start a project with his students.
2 comments:
Jack is looking so grown up! It makes me happy and sad at the same time. I hope he likes his new school, he didn't sound thrilled when I talked to him yesterday. Love the Goo
What a creative teacher. Children learn so much by doing. I hated histroy until I actually went to Spain and saw the past in a modern world.
Post a Comment