You cannot change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sail.

Monday, January 24, 2011

December was a blur!

I know it was cold. I know it snowed a lot. I know we did a little Christmas shopping and a few family things.  We went to Oregon to be with my family for Christmas.  I found out that I really should not have cable after Jack and I watched six hours of American Ninja Warrior.  And I watched more than a few episodes of  I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant.  Both those shows just pull you in I tell you!

We did the most activities of note while in La Grande.  We cut down a Christmas tree.  For the past few years we have got there too close to Christmas to do this, so the kids were way excited!  We also went and saw a production of Beauty and the Beast at the Elgin Opera House.  It was really good.  Sophie did not like the wolves.

 The kids went over to the Elementary School I went to near my mom's house and built a big snowman and played on the playground.  The school looks so small to me now after the massive ones here in Utah.
 When you live in a small town, Santa stops by your house, you just have to meet him at the end of the driveway.  The kids are always a bit in awe over this even when the are older and a bit more cynical.  He give you a bag of candy and poses for a picture.  Sophie thought this was all very magical!

 My mom always makes sugar cookies with the girls and just lets them go at it.  It is hilarious to listen to her try and get Sophie not to put her cookie cutter in the middle of the dough.  And the amount of mess is huge.  And the amount of sprinkles is always excessive.  The girls have a total blast though and look forward to it every year.  Sophie is going to try and talk grandma in to making some next time she visits here. 
 Bella was completely surprised and excited about the ripstick!  She can't wait for some warmer weather to try it out.
 Sophie got a pinkalicious Christmas and is still dressing up in it all, so it was a hit!

 And all Jack really wants is football cards.  Don't get me wrong, he likes everything else, he just loves football cards and is going to spend way more time with stats and such than you can imagine.

We were all spoiled with gifts, the kids got a Wii, Nate and I cheesily sang Wii Wish You A Merry Christmas while they were opening it.  They still like it-so far so good!  And we ate a rediculous amount of good food.  Let's face it, I have not been in the kitchen since September in an effective way at all, so by the time we got to my mom's we were all hungry! And Nate was more than ready to eat meals he didn't have to prepare.  I don't know how much weight gain can be attributed to Christmas, but it was substantial all around. My mom made Prime rib this year and I think it should now be a tradition, in fact, I could forgo the usual Christmas fare for the Prime rib.  

When we got back, Nate celebrated his birthday with snow!  It's a good thing we open gifts and such in the morning, because it took him over two hours to get home that night. I made soup to put in bread bowls and it was so good after a day of cold storminess.  We also made him a cake, just yellow with chocolate frosting, it was yummy, but not worth the heartburn it gave me, so I just had my one small sliver and called it good.

The kids and I spent the week between Christmas and New Year's playing the Wii and hanging out in pajamas, it was nice and restful.  Some of the Miskin crew came over for New Year's and we emptied several bottles of sparkling cider together.  We let the kids stay up really late, then had a lazy New Year's Day.

3 comments:

Marsha said...

Thanks, Jill, for sharing. This grandma sits on the edge of her seat waiting to see the kids. They are growing up so fast and getting so beautiful and handsome. I cannot believe you have that much snow. I am never moving back to Utah! Really I know how much fun it can be for kids though. It looks like you had a great Christmas time.

::lindsay said...

It sounds like it was a great Christmas! I can't believe how big your kids are getting. Time sure flies. It's always fun to read about your family because with your boy and 2 girls, I feel like we are leading similar lives!

Take care!

Grandma Goo said...

The week you were here was so much fun! Seems like we got to do so many things this time, with how my days off were. I loved doing all the things with the kids. The cookie making especially a blast! That Soph is so artistic!!!