I love to read, I doubt this is a revelation to anyone. I spend hours in bookstores when given the chance. (Why are there no bookstores in Lehi?!?) I go to the library once a week or so. I am easily persuaded to buy books for the kids when they bring home their Scholastic book orders every month or so. Luckily I miss the deadline on those 75% of the time. Also, I participate in a neighborhood book club once a month, the current book is on my sidebar.
Right now, the kids are doing a read-a-thon at school. They are asked to read a certain amount each day. I am to record their minutes and turn in the totals each Monday. This recording and turning in totally sucks the pleasure out of it all. I love reading to and with the kids. I love that Jack and I have the same taste in books and can talk about them all the time. I totally let Sophie explore and sometimes destroy by saliva all the board books she desires. I even let Bella pick out books I would never in a million years pick, and read them to her, just to encourage and foster the addiction. But ask me to really keep track of it all, well I rather do the dishes, fold the laundry, and scrub the floors. I really loathe timing our fun.
I suffered from this problem while I was in school. I always had trouble enjoying assigned books. I read a ton on my own outside of school though. It's weird though, because for the most part, I really enjoy the book club books, even though some of them I would have never read on my own. Perhaps that is because I choose to read them instead of being graded on it. My goodness, I am way more stubborn than I ever realized!
Anyway, we have until the 23rd of February to read and read and read, and keep track of it all. I know the kids don't realize how all of this irritates me because they participate enthusiastically. I suppose that is a good thing, and since they don't read my blog, (as if!), they may never know.
And this is a really good thing. Talking to the Young Women on Tuesday, only one admitted to liking to read. I hope hope hope they are just going through a phase. But then I realized. Nate is not a big reader. He does read, but not for pleasure very often. We both love that the kids love books though and don't really want that to disappear. Does it have to? I don't know. But I will be so sad if it does.
So, tell me a few things:
1. Do love to read books? Or do you Loathe it.
2. What kind of stuff do you like to read? Tell me your favorite book, I'm always looking for good recommendations.
3. Did you go through a phase when you didn't read?
I totally want to know all your answers. So email me if you are too shy to comment here. But don't be too shy, we are all friends! Thanks.
F Family
7 years ago


13 comments:
I have always loved to read, from sweet valley high to christopher pike books in my youth to ann rule and nicholas sparks as an adult. when on vacation I can read book after book and not get bored. lately it's been hard to read anything, but I'm hoping to get back into it when baby gets a little bit older. I do read to her everyday though and we both love that.
1. Do love to read books? Or do you Loathe it.
I love to read (I think it's a hereditary thing because Jenny is a big reader too, and so is my dad, Grandma too!)
2. What kind of stuff do you like to read? Tell me your favorite book, I'm always looking for good recommendations.
hmm I always love a Nick Sparks book. History books are great.
3. Did you go through a phase when you didn't read?
yes recently actually. I raed my first book (besides baby and pregnancy related books) last month. I just can't seem to find the time or the energy to read.
I think shortly after college I went on a reading hiatus because I was so tired of books-don't tell anyone a teacher said that.
I like to read but my problem is if I start a book I finish it, so everything around me suffers. I actually don't read novels except Jane Austen. I read travel guides and textbooks. I'm weird that way.
It's feast or famine for me. I read a ton; then one day I decide to put the books down for a while and get something else done. I'm with Andrea on Jane Austen. I just finished Girl With a Pearl Earring. It was good, thank goodness. Lately I've read a slew of books I haven't cared about. I like non-fiction depending on what subject I'm interested in at the time. I'm not a fan of LDS or other Christian fiction. And it's been a while since I've tried a good mystery.
I like to read too.
I like fiction, as long as it is good, but I've recently been turned on to non-fiction too. My fav fiction book is These Is My Words by Nancy Turner and my fav non-fiction is The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.
When I was in college I read the assigned readings, but it took me awhile after college to want to read a book again. But I was busy trying to find my way around my first "real" job then too.
I really got back into reading when I had Lincoln. Suddenly I found myself sitting for 40 minutes every three hours to nurse my babe. I knocked out A LOT of books that first year :)
I love to read. I try to read every night before bed. It totally relaxes me (sometimes too much) and gets my mind focused on something besides my every day life and stresses. When I was little I didn't really love to read...unless it was a mystery book. I HATED reading in high school because most of the books were way overrated and I hated having to answer questions and analyze things. That is also why I'm not a fan of book clubs.
Well, you probably know my answers, but yes, I love to read, and no, I have NEVER -- NEVER (I can't write it any bigger) -- had a time when I didn't like to read. I enjoyed the books I read in high school and college, and even still read some of them. Sometimes I don't want to think, though, so I read the Twilight series again or all of my Terry Brooks books again (LOVE! his stuff). Once I start a new book, I can't stop, but if I've read it before, I can slowly read it over a few days. I don't think Nate ever liked to read a lot. He was always too active. "These Is My Words" is a book that I enjoyed, felt dissatisfied about the ending, but then couldn't stop thinking about afterwards for a long time. I enjoy Steinbeck, don't like Hemingway. I love Jane Austen, and I read a lot of the things that Morgan reads -- b/c they're usually cleaner than grown-folks books. Shut me up, please.
Have you read the Magyk series by Angie Sage? It's a young series -- but maybe too old for Jack yet. I'm not sure. I think the kid is 12. City of Ember, anything by Lois Lowry (Messenger, The Giver, Gathering Blue), the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. All of these are youth books. I'm telling you -- it's what I read. That way I know what my kids are reading.
I love to read. I like all kinds of books, mostly fiction, and definitely happy endings. I read for entertainment purposes. I really liked Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, and Jane Eyre. Oh, I just read Coraline by Gaiman, and that was spooky fun for kids. I don't think I've been through a phase where I haven't read.
Oh, and as a former librarian, I hate keeping track of reading, too. And, don't get me started on the Accelerated Reader program.
I love to read! I also do not like keeping track. It just makes James say "How much more do I have to read?" When not keeping track he could read and read. Alli, however, takes it as a challenge, how many more minutes can I get than I am required. Anyway I don't remember a time when I didn't like books and stories but I remember a time in 5th and 6th grade when I didn't like reading as much on my own for some weird reason. My favorite book is Pride and Prejudice but I love fantasy like Harry Potter, and I love mysteries. I actually enjoyed the Fablehaven series, a lot of Orson Scott Card books, Shannon Hale, and I loved To Kill a Mockingbird. Growing up my dad read us the Hobbit and I love that. Just recently I read a book called Wednesday Letters and quite enjoyed that, it was an easy read. I could go on and on but this comment is already really long. Terri
I could never get Nate to read when he was young except for school and sports statistics. But he made it through school with flying colors so he had to have done some reading. Our library had a summer reading program where the kids could earn prizes for reading so many books. I always tried to get them to do that.
I used to love fiction but now I love to read history, decorating, art and books about foreign countries. My favorite books when I was young were Janice Meredith, a book about the revolutionary war and David and Jonathan - a modern book similar to the story in the Bible. I recently found a copy of Janice Meredith in a used book store and read it again. I still loved it. One of my other favorites is War and Peace. I read it in its entirity when I was in 7th grade but don't think I will ever do it again.
I like to read books. No love, no hate. If it's a good book my house goes to pot because I read until it's finished. I hated to read during jr high, high school, and college. So much better when there is no test at the end. My favorite part of the day is 1/2 hour before the kids bedtime, because they always read before they fall asleep. And that's when I get to relax and stop being the mother/referee/chef/nurse/maid/etc.So I love the Jazz read-a-thon because that means that time of day comes 1/2 hour sooner than normal.
Oh! I just have to respond to this one!
1. Do love to read books? Or do you Loathe it.
I love to read! As Christine said, I think it might be a hereditary thing. I am of course and English Lit major so that might be kind of a silly question. But I have met many people in my day that loathe reading. I can't for the life of me understand it.
2. What kind of stuff do you like to read? Tell me your favorite book, I'm always looking for good recommendations.
Oh, well I have a list of favorites that could go on forever but my favorite book is To Kill A Mockingbird. I really enjoy Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, and the Bronte Sisters.
I'm also quite fond of autobiographies of any kind but especially Holocaust Memoirs (strange and morbid, I know).
3. Did you go through a phase when you didn't read?
When I am in school, I have a hard time getting in any extra-curricular reading time. So I really don't get to read that much but come winter and summer break and I am all over it! I've already started my summer reading list!
Post a Comment