You cannot change the direction of the wind, but you can adjust your sail.

Monday, November 5, 2007

My mermaid and soldier...


Last week went by in a bit of a whirlwind. I really procrastinated making Bella's costume and didn't finish it until Tuesday morning. I had all these intentions of having it done before Sophie was born, but that didn't happen, and so it was a bit of a scramble. Luckily she didn't know I was working on it up to the wire, it would have been tragedy had she had to settle with last year's Cinderella dress. Jack on the other hand was pretty easy this year as nothing he is wearing is handmade by me. He wanted to be a soldier with full weaponry and ammo. I nixed that and made him into a medic and filled a bag with ace bandages and alcohol wipes for him. He seemed pleased and went along with it pretty well.
On Tuesday we had a ward trunk or treat. It was put on by the primary, so I spent most of my time directing and leading other kids while my own were left to fend for themselves. They did pretty good and followed my directions despite thinking they were silly. I had Sophie with me, so no danger there. Before she was born I made her a little ladybug coat to wear, well, my amnesia about how small babies are, combined with the fact that she is smaller than the other kids made for a giant ladybug coat that may fit her next spring. However the massive amount of fabric ensured she was nice and toasty warm.
On Halloween it didn't snow. This is the first time in the past several years that it has actually been pretty nice on Halloween. Nate took the kids trick or treating around the neighborhood and I handed out candy. We only had about 50 trick or treaters, so a really low year. I suspect it's because we are near the end of the block. But the kids had a great time and lasted just over an hour before Bella decided to call it quits. She really isn't into having the candy, and she only likes a few kinds, so the fun of it wore off and they were home just after 7.
Nate blessed Sophie yesterday at church, so I spent the end of the week getting ready for that. So the house feels really clean right now, well, the main floor and the lower floor, all bedrooms are a disaster. It was a really great Sunday, Sophie's blessing was beautiful, and I managed to bear my testimony without turning into a puddle. We had everyone over for hoagies afterward. It was a great day.
Now it feels like we are into the swing of the holiday season. My kids ask every year why there are no Thanksgiving decorations before the Christmas ones are out. I usually cynically tell them Thanksgiving isn't a money making holiday. But I do plan on scaling back this year and enjoying the holidays, so maybe the cynicism will disappear.

1 comment:

Christine Hull said...

they looked so cute Jill! How fun.